lunes, 10 de marzo de 2008

Module 2

Unit 8

Grammar

IT'S TIME

  • Is used to mean " I should have done something already or at least started it"

Form: It's time + subject+ past tense

I'D RATHER...
  • Is used to talk about what you would prefer someone else to do. Form: subejct+would rather+object+past tense
  • Is used to talk what you would prefer to do. Form: subject+ would rather+infinitive(+than...)
I'D BETTER...
  • Is used to talk about something when it is advisable to do it (in present or future)
  • Form: subject+had better+infinitive

Exercises
1. complete the dialogue. Use it's time, 'd rather or 'd better and the correct form of the verb in brackets.
Anna: hi, Will. How did your appraisal go?
Will: It went well, thanks. My boss thinks it's time I had more responsability and maybe became a team leader.
Anna: Oh that's good. How do you feel about that?
Will: I'm pleased because I was thinking of looking for a better job in other company, but I would rather stay here if I can
Anna: it would be great if you were our team leader. You had better be in charge than someone we don't know
Will: Thanks. Anyway, it's time I went because I've got a meeting in five minutes. See you later.

2. Find the mistakes in six of the sentences and correct them

1. I'd better went to the shops before they close: I'd better go to the shops before they close
2. Had you rather I didn't say anything to your boss?: Would you rather I didn't say anything to your boss?
3. Isn't it time you told him how you really feel?: It isn't time you told him how you really feel?
4. I'd rather not working this weekend if at all possible: I'd rather not work this weekend if at all possible 5.Would you better take a raincoat in case it rains?: Had you better take a raincoat in case it rains?
6. I'd rather you paid me back in cash than by cheque if that's OK: Correct
7. What's that smell? I think it's time you get the cake out of the oven: What's that smell? I think it's time you got the cake out of the oven
8. I'd rather took just hand luggage on the plane than a large suitcase: I'd rather take just hand luggage on the plane than a large suitcase

3.Tick the sentences which has the same meaning as the sentneces in italics
1. It's time you went to bed: a) You should be in bed by now
2. I'd rather take the bus: b) I prefer buses to trains
3. We'd better take the earlier flights: b) the later flight might not arrive in time 4. Would you rather I replied by email?: b) Do you want me to send an email?
5. It's high time you looked for a job: b) You are unemployed
6. I'd rather she didn't come: a) I don't want her to come
7.You'd better take the car: a) there's a bus strike today
8. It's about time we left: a) it's quite late

4. Rewrite the sentences using the words in brackets.

1. I really think you should move to a bigger flat (high): it's high time you moved to a bigger flat
2.You should take an umbrella. (better): You'd better take an umbrella
3. I prefer going the cinema. (rather): I would rather go to the cinema
4. John needs to get a better computer. (about): It's about time John got a better computer
5. Do you want me to bring my camera?(would): Would you rather I brought my camera
6. I would prefer her not to smoke.(didn't): I would rather she didn't to smoke
7. I don't like working at the weekend. (rather): I would rather not work at the weekend
8. I think it's safer if you have the salad. (you'd): You had better have the salad

5. Complete each sentence with one word only

1. It's getting late; I think it's time we left
2.Would you rather take the bus or the train?
3. Your bedroom's filthy; it's about time you tidied up.
4. Look at those dark clouds, you'd better take an umbrella
5. I'm a bit tired; I would rather not go out this evening
6. Don't you think it's about time you called your mother - you can use my mobile
7. She's looking very ill; you had better call a doctor
8. Would you rather pay me now or wait until next week?
9. You'd better not interrupt him right now, he's with a client
10. I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and unhappy.

REPORTED SPEECH

  • Use reported or indirect speech to tell people whar somebody said or thought.
  • Use if (or whether) when reporting yes/no questions
Modal verbs: change of present to past tense
Subject and object pronouns: change depending of subject that said
References to particular times: change passive voice
Word order: in question change of wh+verb+subj to wh+subj+verb

REPORTING VERBS

  • Say and explain are followed by verb+(that)
  • Tell is followed by verb+object+(that)
  • Ask, remind and warn are followed by verb+object+infinitive
  • Promise and decide are followed by verb+infinitive
  • Admit and suggest are followed by verb+gerund

Exercises

1. Decide if these sentences are correct or not. Correct the ones which are wrong.

1. He said that he was totally devastated about the result: Correct
2. She told me that she couldn't come to training this evening: Correct 3. He told me he's training three times a week at the moment: Correct
4. She said him she had taken up basketball the previous January: She said that she had taken up basketball the previous January
5. I told them I was going to be late and that they should start without me: Correct
6. I asked her she wanted to come round and watch the tennis: I asked her if she wanted to come round and watch the tennis
7. He asked me why I went to a sports psychologist: Correct
8. She told me wants to move away from sport and futher her career elsewhere now: She told me She wanted to move away from sport and futher her career elsewhere now

2. Write the verbs in bold in the correct place in the table
Remmind, admitted, explained, promise, suggested, decided, warned
Verbs Constructions
Say, explained verb+(that)
Tell verb+object+(that)
Ask, remind,warned verb+object+infinitive
Promise, decided verb+infinitive
Admited, suggested verb+gerund

3. Report these statements starting with the words given

1. ' I broke the window yesterday when I kicked a ball through it by mistake': He admited breaking the window yesterday when I kicked a ball through it by mistake'
2. ' Why don't we try the new Italian restaurant when we go out on friday?': He suggested trying the new italian Restaurant when we go out on friday
3. ' I think i'll stay in tonight because I'm completely exhausted': She decided to stay in tonight because I'm completely exhausted
4. 'I'm going to buy my girlfriend some flowers as a way of saying sorry': He told me that he is going to buy his girlfriend some flowers as a way of saying sorry.
5. ' Are you going to book tickets for the cinema or are you going to just turn up? She asked me to book tickets for the cinema or I'm going to just turn up
6. You really mustn't be late for you interview this afternnon: She warned me not be late for my interview this afternnon
7. Please all bring your homework to me by 9.00 on monday morning: The teacher reminded us bring our homework to her by 9.00 on monday morning
8. I 'll pay you back all the money I owe you by tomorrow: He promised to pay you back all the money He owe you by tomorrow.

4. Choose the correct alternative in each case

1. She promised to do/doing all her homework before she went out to see her friend
2. Can you explain me/to me exactly how this DVD recorder works
3.They decided to sell/selling their house and move to the country
4. My doctor suggested taking/ to take a week off work
5. They warned us/to us that the weather conditions would make walking in the mountains quite dangerous
6. Will you remind me to go/going to the spot office this afternnon?
7. He admited being/be wrong about the time of the train

5. Choose the correct words to complete the sentences
1. when we were young our parents told us not to talk to strangers
2. James asked me what I wanted for my birthday
3. My girlfriend asked me if I would go to the party with her
4. He said he had already bought the tickets
5. The sales assistant suggested buying a new MP3 player
6.Davina asked me where I had been the day before
7. The police officer warned me not to drive so fast in future
8. Michael asked us if we had enjoyed the film last wednesday
9. She asked me whether I had to wear a school uniform when I was at infant school
10. The criminal promised to stay out of trouble

HARD AND HARDLY

Hard: Adjective: form and difficult to cut or break
Adverb: Using a lot of effort or fotce
Hardly: Adverb: Almost not or very little. After used with any (thing,one,where and ever)

Unit 9
Grammar

SEQUENCING DEVICES

  • Is used to show the order of events when telling a story or describing a series of events
  • word used: Having, after, before, while.

Form: Having + past particple
Form: after/before/while + present participle : after + verb ing

Exercises

1. Complete the sentences by writing the correct form of a verb from the box
stay, read, promise, do, go, win
1. After staying to the bank a number of times, the robbers felt they understood all the security systems
2. Having promised to pick his friend up from the police station, Terry completely forgot.
3. After doing extremely well in his first year exams, we were very surprised when he said he wanted to stop studying law
4. Having read some excellent reviews of the new P.D James murder mystery, I wanted to get a copy to take on holiday with me
5. Having won succesfully her case against her old employer for wrongful dismissal, she decided to go out and celebrate
6. After going at the office until midnight to preapre her report for the judge. she decided to give herself the next day off

2. Read the sentences and decide which action happened (or started) first A or B

1. Having taken two aspirin, I began to feel a little sick: a) taking two aspirin
2. Before going to bed, I have a glass of milk: b) Have a glass of milk
3.After leaving home, he got a job in a circus: a) leaving home
4. On hearing the news, I rushed out to tell my girlfriend: a) hearing the news 5. Having crashed his car, Gerry had to come by taxi: b) crashed his car
6. While waiting for the train, I noticed a small child crying on the platform: a) waiting for the train

3. Rewrite the sentences using the words in brackets.

1. Dave told his best friend before he announced the news to his colleagues. (having): Having told his best friend, Dave announced the news to his colleagues 2. He got up and went into the village to get some food. (after): After getting up, he went into the village to get some food
3. They went to bed after they had watched the midnight movie. (going): They watched the midnight movie before going to bed.
4. Surinda was watching TV when she heard a strange sound. (while): While watching TV Surinda Heard a strange sound.
5.Before we went to the computer shop we read lots of consumer reports. (reading): After reading lots of consumer reports, We went to the computer shop
6. Jackie has to get a taxi becuase she missed the bus. (having): having missed the bus, Jackie had to get a taxi.
7. My uncle went to America and started a new business. (gone): My uncle started a new business after he had gone to America
8. The kids usually do their homework and then watch TV for an hour. (doing): The kids usually watch TV for an hour after doing their homework

4. Choose the correct alternative.

1. Before leaving/ left the meeting. She handed me her business card
2.Having seeing/seen the film myself, I wouldn't recommend it
3. At /on arriving at the airport the tourist group were met by the travel agent
4. After/before taking the tables I felt a lot better- they were very effective
5. having opened the door, she runs/ran into the garden.
6. Before booking/booked the holiday, we did a lot of research
7. While lived/living in New York. kirsten made many new friends
8. To have/having taken the express train, Derek arrived in plenty of time
9. On the finish/ finishing his speech, the politician got a round of applause
10. having learned/being learned spanish at school, the children were able to communicate during their holiday

MUST / MIGHT/CAN'T HAVE
Must: use to say that you believe something is certain

Might: use to say something is a possibility

Can't: use to say that you believe something is not possible

Form past tense: must/might/can't have +past participle.
Form present or future: may/might have + past participle.

Exercises
1. Choose the correct alternative in each sentences
1. They must/ might / can't have got into the house through a window. they were all locked.
2. He must/might/ can't have told my parents that I was caught shoplifting but I hope he didn't.
3. The judge must/might/can't have liked you. It's unusual to only get a suspended sentence in this kind of case
4. They mus/might/can't have sacked him because he was lazy. He was one of the hardest working people in the company
5. Don't be negative. She must/might/can't have passed her english test. We will only know when we get the results.
6. She must/might/can't have left very quietly. I didn't hear her go.
7. She must/might/can't have had a bad meeting with the marketing director. She's been a in terrible mood ever since
8. He must/might/can't have arrived yet becuase he promised to phone us the minute the plane landed.

2. Complete the sentences using must/might/can't have and an appropiate verb from the box: go, forgot, drop, tell. finish, be, leave, spend
1.We don't know who took the money. There were lots of people in the office during the day and it might have been any of them
2. I wonder why Pete didn't turn up to do his community service. he can't have forgotten about it. I reminded him yesterday.
3. I'm not sure where Jo is. She might have gone round to Sally's. They're working on a school project together.
4. How did you know about the surprise party? someone must have told you
5. You can't have spent all your birthday money already. you got nearly 100
6.I must have left my keys at home. I remember feeling them in my jacket pocket when i got on the bus
7. She can't have finished her homeowrk yet. She only started it at 9 o'clock
8. I've lost one of my gloves. I might have dropped it on the way to work.

3. Complete the second sentences so that they mean the same as the first. use must/might/ can't with the verb in brackets.
1. it is possible he stayed late at the office. He might have stayed late at the office
2. There's no chance that I left my gloves in the car. I can't have left my gloves in the car
3. I'm sure she's shown me her holiday photos at least ten times. She must have shown me her holiday photos at least ten times
4. It's not possible that she's finished all her homework already. She can't have finished all her homework already.
5. I have no doubt that they were really pleased to win the competition. They must have been really pleased to win the competition
6. There's a chance, my letter got lost in the post. My letter might have got lost in the post.
4. Read the situation and complete the sentences using appropiate forms of must/might can't have.
1. They money must have been stolen by a member of staff because none of the doors or locks was broken
2. It must have been either Mr Briggs, Jennifer or Darren because they are the only ones with keys to the safe
3. The thief must have been a smoker because there was a cigarette end on the floor
4. It can't have been Mr Briggs because he was at home with his wife all night
5. Jennifer might have stolen the money because she can't prove she was at home last night
6. Darren might have stolen the money when he went out for a walk at midnight.

RELATIVE CLAUSES

Defining relative clauses

  • Use to define or identify the person, thing, time place or reason.
  • No commas are used before and after the defining relative clauses
  • That can be used instead of who or which
  • The relative pronoun can be left out if it is the object of the verb in the relative clause.

Non-defining relative clauses

  • Use to give extra information which can be left out
  • Commas are used before and after non-defining relative clauses unless they end a sentence.
  • Who and Which cannot be replaced by that.

Exercises

1. Join these pairs of sentences to make one sentences.

1.John´s been ny best friend since school, is helping me start a new business.

2. My current flat which I´ve been in it for a couple of years needs redecorating.

3.Tamsin, whose parents emigrated to australia last year, is going there for the winter. Her

4. My neighbour, who I´ve always liked, has given me his old computer.

5. The family at the end of the road, whose dog barks constantly, are thinking of moving

6.Tina´s car, which She´s had it for years, is up for sale.

2.Complete the sentences in a way that makes sense

1. where are the jeans which I used yesterday?

2.That´s the pop star who winned a Grammy

3. She´s the little girl whose played in the park

4. I´d like to find a place where you can rest

5. I think that´s the couple whose you saw today

6. We went to a shop where was a beautiful t-shirt

7. Wasn´t it your father who lived in New York

8. She bought the mobile phone which have camera

No hay comentarios: