martes, 8 de abril de 2008

Module 3

Unit 10

Grammar

REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS

Singular: myself, yourself, himself, herself
Plural: ourselves, yourselves,themselves

  • Use to talk about actions where the subject and object are the same person
  • Use to emphasis whrn we mean that person or thing and nobody or nothing else

Exercise

1. Complete these sentences with each other, reflexive pronoun( myself,themselves, etc) or object pronoun ( him, us, etc)

1. I myself have never been hypnotised but I know people who have

2. My best friend and I often knoe what each other are thinking

3. A friend gave me a book about acupuncture for my birthday

4. I´m so forgetful - I´m always locking myself out of my house

5. People in Britain usually give each other presents at christmas

6. I´d like to speak to the doctor himself , not the receptionist

7. The teacher taught us to meditate by thinking about our breathing

8. the people in my family talk to each other a lot.

2. Complete each sentence using the correct form of a verb from the box. Use a reflexive pronoun where necessary.

1. Don´t touch the iron. You´ll burn yourself

2. I felt very disappointed when I found out I´d failed my driving test

3. She´s a good speaker. She expresses herself very clearly.

4. You´ve worked hard today. You should sit down and relax now

5.Jack´s gone to the doctor because he hurt himself while he was playing football this morning

6. My boss and I are going to meet for lunch tomorrow.

7. Thank you for the party. We really enjoyed ourselves

8. I concentrated as hard as I could on the maths lesson, but I still couldn´t understand it.


GERUNDS AND INFINITIVE

Verb+gerund: enjoy, avoid,imagine, consider, finish, miss, practise, involve, carry, suggest

Verb+infinitive: want, seem, offer, decide, hope, afford, agree, arrange, promise, refuse, manage.

Verb +object+infinitive: persuade, convince, encourage, allow, advise

Verb+gerund or verb+infinitive-with different meaning: remenber, regret, try, stop, go on

Exercise

1.Find the mistakes in six of the sentences and correct them

1. We encourage all students doing some voluntary work. We encourage all students to do some voluntary work.

2. I´ve arranged visiting my grandparents on saturday: I´ve arranged to visit my grandparents on saturday

3. I couldn´t avoid hitting the dog as it ran out in front of my car: correct

4. I remenber to go to the park every day after school when I was a child: I remenber going to the park every day after school when I was a child.

5. He persuaded me joining the new gym with him: He persuaded me to join the new gym with him

6. My teacher suggested to learn ten new spellings every week:My teacher suggested learning ten new spellings every week.

7. Please will ytou stop talking for a minute: correct

8. He advised to have us an early night before the exam:He advised us to have an early night before the exam:


No hay comentarios: